Highlights of this offering:
- Most desirable model (142E) and most desirable year (1971)
- Features and option package unique only to the '71 142E, including electronic fuel injection, overdrive transmission, leather seats, metallic paint, unique wheel trim, upgraded front brakes, radial tires, and enhanced exhaust.
- Unmodified example, as delivered and configured from the factory, all in accordance with the car's serial number. I don't know of any other '71 142E like this.
- Selected as best example of a 140 series car for the Volvo Heritage Display at Hilton Head car show in 2015.
- Two owner car. I bought from the original owner about 5 years ago, and they had passed it around in their family since buying new in 1971.
- California car. It spent it's whole life in the greater Santa Rosa region of California, so no rust. Since bringing it east, it has always been garaged, and spends the winters off the road in a heated garage.
- Refreshed, but not restored. Mechanical and cosmetic wear items have been refreshed, but the car is otherwise un-restored, still retaining its maximum originality.
- Full mechanical refresh in 2012. Engine rebuilt (original engine), transmission rebuilt (original transmission and overdrive), new brake calipers, master cylinder, and brake booster, all new suspension bushings, ball joints, shocks, tie rod ends, and idler arm. Rebuilt steering gear, new clutch and cable.
- Fully intact and operational Bosch D-Jet fuel injection system. Rebuilt fuel pump plus new injectors, temp sensors, and air valve. It's very, very rare to find these still in place and working correctly.
- Cosmetic refresh including paint and new, correct leather seats front and rear.
- Original wheels with correct, and unique to the '71 142E, wheel trim rings and center caps.
- Correctly sized Vredstein Classic 165R15 radial tires
- Full documentation from original window sticker and sales receipt, to repair receipts from original owner, to a 34 page document detailing all the work under my ownership.
- Car has been in service it's whole life. The odometer reads 330,000 miles, but it was broken for a while before I fixed it. I estimate actual mileage at 350,000 to 375,000. It is a great example of how these cars have served and served year in and year out, though I only driven a few hundred miles a year now.
- Many spare parts included - they actually fill the whole car. Includes original dealer installed air conditioning system with Volvo dash panels and vents, exhaust system, distributors, instrument cluster, fuel injection parts, and many, many more.
- I have made two non-original enhancements. First is a larger front sway bar, and the other is an electronic distributor. But I still have the original sway bar and distributor and they are included with the sale.
Over the past couple of years I have received two offers to buy at over $20,000, but wasn't ready to sell at the time. Asking price, $21,000 USD
Note that if you click any picture below, it will bring them all up in a viewer.